Saturday, January 11, 2014

DESIGNER OF THE MONTH: MARK FISHER

For our first Designer of the Month of 2014, we chose legendary Mark Fisher, maker of Metal Men at the Western Avenue Studios and a designer now for over 30 years. This was our interview:


Mark, how did you become interested in becoming a graphic designer?
At a young age, I loved to draw. Later, while in college in Buffalo, NY I learned the trade of advertising, typography,  printing,  color theory, copy writing, and production.  Illustration though remained my main focus.  After graduating in 1972 I worked at an ad agency where I focused on commercial art working with airbrush and pen and ink. I continue working with those mediums and made the switch to computers in 1998. I have been doing it ever since. 


How did you end up in Lowell?
After New York, I moved to  Cambridge with my family in 1973 then Westford and then Lowell after falling in love with the city, the summer music series, and the real estate prices. I've been here for 15 years now. 

How do you view a lot of the design going up today?
Some is perplexing, but some is very intriguing. I came from older school methods where there was a lot of individuality. Today, design seems minimal, which is nice to some degree but a lot of stuff looks the same due to the internet and the sharing of ideas.  The variety of styles across the globe have become a lot more homogenized.


What were inspirations for your design?
Well, I do a lot of comic book style illustrations, but I don't read them. I try not to be influenced by other people's stuff. I look at the work of other designers of course, but leave it at that. What I did in the 70's looks like the stuff I am doing now, because I retained my own individual style. However, if I had to pick an influence it would be the work of the first 40 years of the 20th century. Growing up in the 50's, I was in love with machinery, electronics, science fiction, old toys, and of course art deco. I call my style Retro Pop. 

What would you like to see more of in Lowell from a designer's view?
I would love to see exactly what Design 4 Lowell is trying to promote: better graphics, better signage, and overall, a better visual experience, particularly with the businesses. 


What is stopping that from happening?
Well I think that a lot of don't realize the importance of these elements. A lot of artists also don't know how to properly interact with the business community and vice versa. Schools are not doing a good enough job of teaching these fundamentals. Some businesses seem to lack the knowledge that great marketing can truly separate them from the competition to entice more customers. 


What are your favorite fonts to use for your designs?
I love condensed, sans serifs fonts. I use a lot of News Gothic, Futura, but mostly I use custom lettering! I will take a type face and play with it in Illustrator. I like playing with lines:) (Quote of the day!!)

What design projects do you have coming up?
I have to design the interior of a diner in Framingham, Right now carpenters are building the pieces. I've already finished a lot of the illustrations. I just finished some Illustrations for the The Baffler from MIT Press. I've also been talking about doing some graphics for an e-book lecture series. I would like to have more local clients though. 


Any advice for the up and coming design talent looking to do this long-term?
Be open to take on any project where you can apply your creativity because you never what it can lead to. I had a job designing a shadow box, which was seen by a designer who asked me to design his entire office in this retro pop style. That led to a diner asking me to work on their entire interior (The Deluxe Station Diner in Newton Centre.) Find your unique voice and don't give anything away. Always get something in return for your work, because your time is valuable. Pro bono and charity work is ok. But if a business just offers you exposure for your work, remember that you can die from exposure. 


To see his work, visit www.Marksfisher.com or stop by his studio at 122 Western Avenue Studios (#412) during open studios on the first Saturday of every month from 12-5 pm. Thanks Mark! You have inspired many and we look forward to working with you! Until next time Lowell...